Thursday, November 12, 2009

"It doesn't hurt you any to be good to other people"


My Granny said this to me tonight while I tried to help her get ready for bed.  She said, "I just want you to know I appreciate you and I want you to know that it doesn't hurt you any to be good to other people....the Lord loves for you to be good to others."

She then presented me with a hypothetical situation.  She said "suppose I ask you to go find my dentures.  You might think it's real comical, but you wouldn't laugh at me.  You would go find my dentures and take pleasure in knowing you have something to laugh about later.  But it didn't hurt you any and one day you may need someone to help you like I need someone to help me." 

I laughed along with her and agreed that God was good all the time, and that life was good, and that yes, it doesn't hurt to be good to other people.  I also assured her that it was my pleasure because she took care of people the vast majority of her life and if not for her selflessness I wouldn't be here today.

As I left her room I felt elated.  I felt that I had accomplished a great feat.  I had gained the gratitude of another human being and all I'd done was help roll her hair and show her how to operate the small space heater in her room.  I think now about the moments that I have felt of most use, of most purpose and it was when somone else recognized that I had value.  And even if they didn't say thank you, as my Grandmother told me, it didn't hurt me any.  If anything it made me better.  It put out the energy into the universe that when I am old and gray I hope to get back.  If only I spent more time thinking of how I could be of more use to others.  After all, if you believe in God you believe also that we were put here to glorify Him, and the ultimate way we can glorify Him is to humble ourselves enough to be good to our fellow man/woman. 

But at the ripe old age of 30 I find my thoughts more times than not are preoccupied in how to better myself.  I wish I could take a vow that this would change, but I won't lie, I do want and strive for better for my own life.  I will however express gratitude for the people and circumstances in my life that constantly remind me the world is bigger than myself.  Those reminders help fine tune my answer to "where do I fit in this world?"  Because where I fit depends largely on how willing I am to put myself out there for others, because at the end of the day what could it hurt?

3 comments:

Liza Ellen said...

You are so right! I spend so much thought and prayer in self advancement. My goals and position in my life are of the utmost importance to me. Although I believe that improving myself improves my children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, parents and so on, I have to remember to use my life to help other people directly. Service is a lost art. Thank you for this post it has inspired me to focus on doing for others and not just what I do for others.

Unknown said...

Amber, I know exactly what you are talking about and I try to live my life in that same way every chance I get. I believe you reap what you sow. If you want to be loved you have to sow love, if you want to be appreciated you have to sow appreciation, if you want others to go out of their way for you, you have to go out of your way for someone else. You probably realized last night that I wasn't all that happy about the whole situation and it is because I just thought that the right seeds were not being planted. This past weekend you probably heard many people say things about me that I would never say about myself but I believe that at the end of days if you are willing to put down your own thing for a few minutes and put yourself out to help someone else you get it back. Maybe not the same way but you get it back and even if you don't "It surey doesn't hurt you to be good to other people".

Ro said...

Hey, Amber
I feel you on everything although not thirty (29) I often wonder about a lot of my decisions I've made and the ones that I make now. Grtting older can be difficult at times because you always have those what if's but we have to remember at all times that god has a plan for each one of us. Continue on your paths and jus keep up all the good work that you do. hugggsss***